Forklift Safety In A Working Environment
The importance of forklifts in the material handling industry cannot be downplayed. These power-propelled trucks are involved in a good number of processes on a daily basis in warehouses. However, they can also cause damage to people and materials if proper care is not taken and that is why workers must understand the importance of forklift safety.
In order to run a material handling industry efficiently, the right balance of productivity and safety must be maintained. It is futile to try to achieve maximum gains by focusing only on productivity and compromising the safety of both the workers and the material. Follow these tips to improve forklift safety in your facilities.
- Offer forklift safety training
- One of the reasons why forklifts are so efficient is because they are very versatile, but this quality also increases the risks of accidents especially when handled by an untrained worker. Make sure your staff has received the proper training and licensing before operating any handling equipment. This will greatly improve the safety of your staff.
- Use floor tapes
- This can be really helpful to keep pedestrians out of harm's way and also avoid dangerous collisions between forklifts. Use floor tapes to mark out certain areas to outline the path taken by forklifts. This is a cost-effective way to ensure a safer working environment by highlighting the paths taken by the machines. Another benefit is that the floor tapes can be changed easily to suit a new layout.
- Establish rules
- Setting up rules and regulations for forklift operations will help maintain a safer workplace. Some of the rules can include fixing a reasonable speed limit when operating the forklift, making sure that only qualified personnel handle the machine and advising forklift operators to respect the set paths.
- Safety meetings
- It is important to have safety meetings on a regular basis to remind your staff to respect workplace guidelines so as to remain safe. It is also a great way to inform them of any new risks or changes made in the workplace.
Reinforcing your staff with the message that safety is of utmost importance will go a long way to improve your overall efficiency. Contact us for more forklift safety tips.
f you’re in the market for a used forklift come down to our warehouse and we’ll help you find the perfect one for you.